AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What a condundrum!

"Guys like women who are in shape, toned up and well...not 'thick'," so says one of the "Stepford's" I was talking to this morning during boot camp. She goes on to say, "But, guys don't like girls who workout more then they do, eating little meals, only order salads and talk diet and calories all the time. What's a girl to do?"

So let me explain why I (well, all the boot campers) call this lady a Stepford (think the Stepford wives). She rises super early to make some gourmet, fancy dinner (to serve later in the evening), cleans her house and then styles her hair and apply make up before showing up at 5:30 in the morning for boot camp. And there is a whole group of them...friends either made during boot camp or ladies who knew each other before boot camp. None of these women have visible cellulite....or body fat...or even acne. Yes, I envy them...but I also pity them.

I tell people I am WYSIWYG. (What you see is what you get) I am not a gourmet cook. I told Scott early on that I can make salsa...and a few dishes but that's it. I joke that I am not "domesticated" (yes, I realize the word should be domestic) and that I may be a neat freak, but I hate cleaning.

Guess what? I have cellulite...and body fat...and acne. Although I am happy my body fat dropped to 28.something, its not enough. My weight is healthy but I find myself obsessed with counting calorie and monitoring my fat intake. I am trying to figure out how to work out everyday of the week and how many calories I will burn with each work out.

I can only imagine if I feel this way what my fellow camper (Mrs. Stepford) must be feeling. I feel like she takes all the qualities I don't have (early riser to cook gourmet meals), added the qualities I do have (super clean) and tossed is a great body to get her kind of obsession. If I feel neurotic about getting in shape, she is driving herself batty to stay in shape. Oh yeah...she has kids too and is the PTA! Ok, that part kinda makes me bitter since I fear being a bad mom more then I fear never being a mom.

So what is a girl to do? We (well, some of us) were taught early on in life to always be attractive lest our man goes off and finds himself an attractive woman. We were taught never to talk dieting with our man and it's ok to eat a big meal or even desert...as long as we do diet and stay trim. Do women have to be perfect all the time or is skinny, PTA mom, Stepford wife making the regular Jane Doe's out there seem normal. Hmmm...food for thought. Uh, make that a salad for thought, hold the tasty but fattening ingredients with a small splash of vinegar (oh how I miss 1000 island dressing!)!

No comments: