AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Monday, August 4, 2008

Vacation Update...at long last!

Thailand was awesome! The food was delicious, the people were great. I can only describe my vacation with positive adjectives. We stayed in Pattaya, near Jomtien Beach.

The flight on the other hand was long. I mean long! We got to SFO at 9am on Friday morning. Now, when you fly to Thailand, you cross the international date line and lose a day. We got to our hotel on Sunday at 11:30 at night. Man, what a long day. (Should I mention that we had a layover and plane change in Bejing?!) Sure, we snoozed on the plane but nothing beats sleep in a bed, where you can stretch your legs and get comfy. We got up bright and early the next day and ate breakfast. At our hotel, you can have your eggs any way you want as long as its over easy or sunny side up. I couldn't complain because in all honesty, the breakfast wasn't bad. We took a long walk and finally hoped a baht bus to Hard Rock Cafe. For dinner, our new friends Phil and Dang took us to a cool little restaurant called Cabbages and Condoms. You can check out our pictures here and here.

We spent the week doing typical tourist stuff and visited Nong Nooch Gardens, Pattaya Croc Farm and the Temple of Truth. At the Pattaya Croc Farm, I got to hold a baby tiger and take a picture with momma tiger. Very Cool!!! Again, the links for pictures are here, here and here. This was truly a wonderful experience since we got a chance to ride an elephant! The Thai people are very relaxed and have the "safety is your own responsibility" attitude.

We also did a few "non-tourist" activities. Phil took us to a little fishing park. The Thai people would bait the hooks and cast the line and bring you beer. Basically all you had to do was reel the fish in and then release it. Lather, rinse, repeat! We caught some bigguns' too! We also went to Pattaya Go Kart, Paintball and Bungee Jump park. We all got to race go karts! These little cars are so much faster then any go kart here. They were scary fast! Phil's 2 co-workers joined us and we had a friendly paintball game. Team Sharks (Scott, DSS and I) kicked butt of course and some of us walked away with a few bruises. Team Gulf Charters were good natured and we all had a good laugh. I also decided to fulfill a life long dream of mine and bungee jump!!! I still can't believe I did it but it was totally awesome. I am not sure that is even a good enough description. I loved it. 60 meters of free fall (about 200 feet) and I flashed the park (good thing I wore a bra that day!) and wow! Soon, I will link the video Scott took of my daring jump. If you have ever considered doing it, then do it!

We also visited "Walking street", which I can only describe as a 24-7 party that puts Madi Gras to shame. We were joined by Ron and Lloyd who are Scott's co-workers. Ron brought us out to Thailand to introduce to his charter business, Gulf Charter Thailand.

At the end of the week, we went sailing down to KoChang and KoMak, which was quiet an experience. Those who know me know that I get motion sickness just saying the words. :( I used a motion sickness patch that worked pretty good and avoided chumming. Ron's wonderful wife Ratmanee cooked us delicious Thai food and we got to enjoy a day on the water.

On our last day in Thailand, we went to the worlds largest jewelery store! You were prohibited to take pictures but believe me when I say it was a very shinny store.

Did I mention that I shopped? Oh yes, I bought shoes and clothes. Very cheap...very cute...and very fun! DSS and I also took a trip to the Believe or not museum.

The plane ride home was long. Very long. We flew to Sidney and changed planes then to SFO. The last two hours of the plane ride, I wanted to get out and swim home. We made it though. This trip was truly an experience of a lifetime and I am already looking forward to going back. In Thailand, people drink their beer with ice, lime and a splash of 7-Up. I already miss drinking my beer that way. I was told there are 4 times in Thailand: morning, afternoon, evening and night. I find myself wishing I was still on that schedule. Despite that we ate Thai food everyday, I miss it and crave it. But, it's good to be home.

1 comment:

nancy said...

Wow! What a trip!!! I'm seriously jealous.

Welcome Home :)