AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Monday, June 23, 2008

The train has left the building

Last night a group of us went out for dinner. Scientist and Engineer (from a few posts below) invited us, along with Musician/Engineer and Artistic Business Woman. Nice people, great wine, ok but way too expensive food.

Through out the conversation, my brain wondered away...repeatedly. And it was pointed out to me...repeatedly. I am not sure what is was but seriously, I had no interest in the conversation. I am not an art person. My idea of good art is Diego Rivera. Artistic Business Women (ABW) is nice. I love her as a person. I found it odd that she decided that we must all try the corn bread and artichokes. I did and the corn bread was ok (Scott makes a much better jalapeno corn bread) and the artichoke was just that...an artichoke. S asked if I had ever made an aloi (aloy?) sauce for anything. First lie of the night..."No, but I would like to find a good recipe for one!" Yeah...I don't know if I would know it if an aloy/aloi sauce bit me on the butt. ABW insisted that there was not a bad item on the menu. Well, let me tell you how disappointed I was in the ahi tuna sashimi. I was so expecting a plate of raw fish (ok, seared fish) and my ahi tuna was waaaaayyy over cooked. And OMG! Don't get me started on the cole slaw we just had to have!!

The conversation then turned to something about spirituality. S commented that we all have these persona's we use for different people. Man, ain't that the truth. I was actually crying over this a few weeks ago. I try so hard to appear this smart, sophisticated person around our friends. But the reality of it is, I may not be stupid in the traditional sense, but I am more street smart then book smart. I am not even sure if that is totally true but I haven't traveled, I don't watch historical programs, I am ok if I don't listen to some jazz great and yes, I love to watch General Hospital. I am not sure that makes me a dumb person as opposed to a less cultured person. But hey, this is who I am. Oh yeah, I love to say ain't too!

ABW and I were talking about my still paying for pole dancing lessons. She herself could not justify the cost of the classes. To me, the cost is worth it if it means that for one hour a week I get to spend time with women...my age. I love our friends, but sometimes its nice to talk to someone who is from the same generation as yourself. But for the sake of not offending I let the subject drop.

You know, at some point during the dinner, I realized that when you can quote "Pulp Fiction" and no one else gets it, you should just sit and look pretty as to not embarrass your significant other. So that's what I did until the whole "how can you not like cats" conversation started. At this point I wanted to through my hands in the air and declare me unfit for the polite company. Man, and I was in a good mood too.

No comments: