AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Friday, May 23, 2008

My story...the very begining

So, I am out of order here...sue me! I only told my story as way before ttc ever entered my mind. I thought it would be nice to give a little background. See, for as long as I can remember, I was afraid of an unplanned pregnancy. I come from a very fertile family.

I started taking the pill and always insisted that my boyfriends used condoms. Hey, better safe then sorry, right?! Sometime in college, one of my gal pals hailed the depo-provera shot as the wonder birth control. I went to my doctor and got on the shot. In the beginning, I bled for 3 months straight. That finally stopped and I was AF free. I stayed on the depo for 10 years. I stopped the shot when I realized that not having AF could probably be bad and maybe even make it harder to conceive should my life ever go that route. I switched to the patch. I always got really bad leg cramps on the patch and would bleed out of the blue. I stayed on that until mid summer 2005. At this time, I was getting horrible migraines, bad break outs, and leg cramps. (I still suffer from leg cramps, especially after I fly.) My ob/gyn put me on the progesterone only pill. It turned me into the devil. I hated it but stuck it out. At this time Scott and I were not even ready for the "lets ttc talk" so we also doubled up our protection. I laugh now since we started off using two forms (me on the patch and him using a condom) and then we finally ditched the condoms. Oh, the money (and aggravation) we could have saved! :(

I still think that the years I was on depo-provera caused me the most harm. I do blame my infertility on that wicked shot. I am not sure that I buy it when people say years of birth control should affect your fertility. I think years of depo did affect *MY* fertility.

I know I told my story earlier, but felt that I needed to give a little more detail about my fertility pre-ttc. Yes, I skipped alot...but some details are better left unspoken (un-typed?).

No comments: