AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Friday, April 24, 2009

Do you have kids?

I never realized how much I hated that question until last night. We were at a get together to watch the hockey game. I held a small glass in my hand...a margarita. I nursed it over a few hours and put melted ice in my cup a few times to water it down. I don't feel bad nursing a single drink though. But I knew that if I did not drink, those who knew we are ttc would ask questions. Sometime during the get together a new face asked me that loaded question. I was honest of course and said no but I wanted to explain that I don't have kids yet but I am trying. It really depends on the situation (and sometimes the person) but sometimes I do explain that I am infertile and trying to have a baby by using IVF.

Tomorrow is the start of National Infertility Awareness Week. I have been way more open with my infertility and have tried to dispel certain beliefs about infertility and ART. But I am only one person. Spread the word!

4 comments:

elephantscanremember said...

I am very sorry, Em. (Hugs)

I posted a bulletin on MySpace. Do I have you on there? Do you have a page?

Steph said...

Yeah that question sucks. And its like the first thing people ask too.
Or even worse, they ask me how long I have been married, and then ask HOW MANY kids we have. Because of course after all these years its not a question of if, but how many.

Allison said...

Yeah - I sometimes dread meeting new people because I just KNOW that question is coming right out of the gate.

But I've always been honest. I actually enjoyed telling someone I was infertile because she followed up my "no" answer with this - "What? You don't like kids?"

I'd have rather given her a smack to the head, but the stunned look on her face was the same. ;-)

Infertility Warrior said...

Yep, hate that question too, but the one I will keep fighting to never hear is "so why didn't you have kids?"

Here was a trick I used recently at a restaurant bar - I ordered a lemonade but asked them to make it look like a mixed drink because yes, sometimes you just want to blend in.