AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Friday, January 30, 2009

Finally...the old friend post...

I had this childhood friend. Due to the fact that she has had quite the hard life and has a record, I am going to not use her whole name. "M" and I lived a few houses apart from each other. Our older siblings were friends and our parents were ok with us shuffling back and forth to each others houses. M's dad moved the family when he and his wife separated. While M and I still were friends, M got mixed up with a not so great group. Eventually, to try to get M's life back on track, M's dad moved a few hours away to a new city. For M, that meant a new school. Sadly, the group of friends M flocked to were no better then her friends back in the old city.

Ever hear the saying "be careful of what you wish for...you just might get it?" Well, M got into trouble repeatedly and began seeing a boy a few years older the her. At the tender age of 12, M got grounded after her dad caught her and the boy doing things they shouldn't have been doing. M told her boyfriend that she wished her dad was dead. I am stopping the story here to protect M. M is not a bad person, she just got dragged into a bad situation.

At this point in time, M and I completely lost contact. There was never a day in my life that I didn't think about her. I always remembered to keep M and her family in my thoughts and prayers. I spent years trying to find her on Myspace and Facebook. Finally, it hit me that if M ever got married, she would have changed her last name. But M's older brother wouldn't have changed his last name. I googled M's older brother and found him. I sent his a generic message giving enough details so he wouldn't think I was some psycho spammer. Sure enough, he remembered me...and put me into contact with M.

Yeah! M and I reverted back to our childhood days and spent our first phone call in tears, laughing and catching up. Over 2 hours later, we promised to keep in touch with each other...and we have!

M got a bad deal out of life but she is such a strong woman. She is a mother, the taxi cab for her kids, the classroom mom, well, the whole nine. She has cared for her mother during her chemo treatments. She is married to a man who loves and respects her. I couldn't be more happy for M. See, I needed to blog about this to share my joy of finding M. Oh yeah, and to thank the techno gods for Google.

No comments: